Labor Day weekend is upon us, and that means it’s already September! The days are beginning to get shorter, the temperature is cooling down and before we know it our landscapes will be painted with vibrant warm shades of orange, yellow and red! While we stretch out the rest of summer and await the cooler fall days, here are some of our favorite September landscaping tips.
September Landscaping Tips
- Shrub & Tree Planting – Fall is a great time to plant and encourages good root development. Planting now allows the plants to establish themselves before spring.
- Lawn Problems? Now is a great time to sod or spot seed any damaged areas.
- Lawn Maintenance is most important in September and is the perfect time for Aeration & Fertilization. If you have had problems with grubs, now is also a great time to take control of the situation long term.
- Continue weeding, failing to continue to weed will cause your weeds to spread and could make next season even worse.
- Azaleas, Rhododendrons and other flowering spring shrubs should no longer be pruned. These shrubs have already set their buds for the following and year, pruning them now will sacrifice next years spring flowers.
- If you want to add a touch of fall to your landscape, plant your hardy mums now.